Saturday, February 2, 2008

Reaching for a dream that spells tomorrow

Black History Month should be celebrated to the fullest, so take time out of your busy day to honor our heritage. Here are a few things you can do during Black History Month:
Shop for your food and other items in a business owned and operated by Blacks. (Support)
Read and Read some more books written by Black Authors.
(Educate)
Volunteer with a local agency or community center that serves the Black Community.

(Giving Back)
I have vowed to read at least three novels during Black History Month, then donate the books to my local library which happens to be just a tad bit short on Black material. I plan on visiting some of the local eateries owned by Blacks or at least operated by Blacks, there are two places in particular I will visit hope the food is good, this City is not known for having decent Soul Food, there was one Soul Food Restaurant here in Madison and it did not survive more than a few months folks complained about the food and my friend assures me they sold microwaved chiterlings.LOL!
I will also be attending several different programs and I will call the Black Student Union at UW to see if they have anything planned.

7 comments:

WhozHe said...

Black history month is a time to promote pride in the accomplishments of our community. I plan to take my kids to the local African American Cultural Museum and spend some time doing just that.

Curious said...

I think that I shall read Ralph Ellison's Invisible Life again 10 or 15 years after I first read it. Does that count as reading or do I need to read new stuff?

Chet said...

Whozhe thanks for stopping by. I am elated to hear that you plan on spending time at the African American Cultural Museum in you area. Great way to promote pride in our community.
Curious by all means read: Invisible life again. New writings are wonderful too, but the important thing is to spend some time reading the great works of our people. One of my favorites happens to Langston Hughes. Thankz for stopping by, I will be visiting your page again soon.

Curious said...

I'm sorry, did I say Invisisble Life? I think i'm telling on myself. I meant to say Invisisble Man.

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's black history month again...

j_shanlin said...

I'm glad you wrote about this because I was really thinking about what I wanted to do because I'm tired of the same ol Dr. Martin Luther King speeches at church that I get every year.... good ideas...

Anonymous said...

Excellent post!!