Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pride 2010



I'm home after two weeks in the Dirty South, yes your boi did the South. Spent only one day at Sizzle (The Booze Cruise) on the Friday prior to Memorial Day, interesting to say the least, but such a young crowd, I was truly out of place. Then it was on to Ark, Tenn and Missouri. Debbie is upset I didn't stop in Atlanta, but as I explained to her "I was just out and about, no destination in mind." I just needed to get away for a minute.

It's June so you know what that means... Pride Month. Every year I say that I'm going to celebrate my pride, but usually end up questioning what gay pride is all about, really. Pride should reflect more than just a few parties, half naked men, and a host of one night stands; now don't get me wrong those things are important too, but one should really reflect on the struggle we've had to face in hopes of seeking equality and respect.

Not exactly sure what events I will attend if any. Tonight in Milwaukee the party features Patti Labelle, as much as I would have like to have attended and spend some time with Tony, I decided to stay home and chill. Next month Chicago will kick off Black Gay Pride during the 4Th of July weekend. More than likely I will attend that event unless of course I head to Houston for the festivities.

Tell me what does Pride mean to you, and how will you be celebrating your pride?

3 comments:

Eduardo Guize said...

hey Chet, we often commented on the same blogs so I decided to stop by...

I agree, Pride needs to represent us all and not just a portion of the gay world, but if everyone not relating to the flaming naked meat fest doesn't show up, we're basically leaving Pride in their hands and never get represented. And well, Pride can always be lots of fun!

Curious said...

I celebrate Pride the same way I celebrate Christmas, it depends on how I'm feeling that day or that year. It can be a day to be really festive and enjoy life and its possibilities, or another reason not to get into that mess.

Anonymous said...

wow, cute blog. Havent been around in ages. Must say that I thank you for visiting my blog and commenting on my new little one. Just thought I would stop by and show some love.